It Seems Like Disasters Are Becoming More Common.

Which perils otherwise known as disasters are covered by Homeowners Insurance?

Standard home insurance policies typically cover a range of ever present disasters like tornadoes, hurricanes, fire, lightningHurricanes and Homeowners Insurance

strikes and winter storm damage caused by weight of ice and snow. Most homeowners policies cover all the disasters listed below.

Some Homeowners Insurance provide coverage  for the first ten in the list. It is important to review your home insurance for the specific disasters.


Dwelling &Personal Property

1. Fire or lightning

2. Windstorm or hail

3. Explosion

4. Riot or civil commotion

5. Damage caused by aircraft

6. Damage caused by vehicles

7. Smoke

8. Vandalism or malicious mischief

9. Theft

10. Volcanic eruption

11. Falling object

12. Weight of ice, snow or sleet

13. Accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from within a plumbing, heating,

air conditioning, or automatic fire-protective sprinkler system, or from a household


14. Sudden and accidental tearing apart, cracking, burning, or bulging of a steam or hot

water heating system, an air conditioning or automatic fire-protective system.

15. Freezing of a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic, fire-protective

sprinkler system, or of a household appliance.

16. Sudden and accidental damage from artificially generated electrical current (does

not include loss to a tube, transistor or similar electronic component)

17. MOST LIKELY EXCLUDED- flood, earthquake, war, nuclear accident, landslide, mudslide,

sinkhole and others specified in your policy. Check your policy for a complete list of

perils excluded.

So What Is Probably Not Covered As A Disasters 

1. Floods

Flood damage is excluded under standard homeowners and renters insurance policies. Flood coverage, however, is available in the form

of a separate policy both from the National Flood Insurance Program - NFIP ( 888-379-9531) and from a few private insurers.

You can get replacement cost coverage for the structure of your home, but only actual cash value coverage is available for your

possessions. There may also be limits on coverage for furniture and other possessions stored in your basement.

Flood insurance is available for renters as well as homeowners. You will need flood insurance if you live in a designated flood zone. But

also consider buying it if your house could be flooded by melting snow, an overflowing creek or water running down a steep hill. Don’t

wait until the evening news announces a flood season warning to buy a policy. There is a 30-day waiting period before federal flood

coverage takes effect.

2. Earthquakes

Earthquake coverage can be a separate policy or an endorsement to your homeowners or renters policy. It available from most

insurance companies. In California, it is also available from the California Earthquake Authority. In earthquake prone states like California, the

policy comes with a high deductible.

3. Maintenance damage

It is your responsibility to take reasonable precautions to protect your home from damage. Your insurance policy will not cover damage

due to lack of maintenance, mold, termite infestation and infestation from other pests.


Sewer backups or the inability of sump pumps to handle runoff water from major downpours are not covered under a typical

homeowners insurance policy, nor are they covered by flood insurance. Those types of coverage must be purchased either as a

separate product or as an endorsement to a homeowners policy.”

Sewer backup coverage is available from most insurers for a nominal cost—usually an additional annual premium of $40-$50.

Many homeowners may not realize that they are responsible for the maintenance and repair of their house or sewer lateral—the

pipeline between the city sanitary sewer main, usually located in the street—and the building. The sewer lateral is owned and

maintained by the property owner including any part that extends into the street or public right of way.

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2016
  • 2015

View Mobile Version