Beware of coverage loopholes like whose property is NOT covered under your Homeowners Policy.
Are Domestic Partners and their "stuff" Covered under a Homeowners Policy?

   Let's look at who is considered an insured on your homeowners Insurance Policy?  
   If a couple has been living together at least a year then one of our companies allows
   the  Domestic Partner Endorsement on for free but your agent has to be aware of this to
   even let you know about it. You should let your agent know if you have a domestic partner.
   It is your responsibility to read your policy and know
   who is considered an insured.

  If you are living with a significant other then ask if there is an endorsement called Domestic Partner
  Endorsement. You would not want your significant other's cloths, furniture,  jewelry (careful about how much jewelry is covered without scheduling it!), computer, TV etc
  not to be covered if there was theft, fire and other perils...would you? 

It is very clear in homeowners policy language whose stuff is covered.
From A Mass Homeowners Policy:

A. In this policy, "you" and "your" refer to the "named

insured" shown in the Declarations and the spouse

if a resident of the same household. "We", "us"

and "our" refer to the Company providing this insurance.

5. "Insured" means:

a. You and residents of your household who are:

(1) Your relatives; or

(2) Other persons under the age of 21 and

in the care of any person named above;

b. A student enrolled in school full time, as

defined by the school, who was a resident

of your household before moving out to attend

school, provided the student is under

the age of:

(1) 24 and your relative; or

(2) 21 and in your care or the care of a

person described in a.(1) above; or

C. Coverage C – Personal Property

1. Covered Property

We cover personal property owned or used by

an "insured" while it is anywhere in the world.

After a loss and at your request, we will cover

personal property owned by:

a. Others while the property is on the part of

the "residence premises" occupied by an

"insured"; or

b. A guest or a "residence employee", while

the property is in any residence occupied by

an "insured".

Every company may be different so read your policy.
The easiest way to look up what you want to know is get your policy in PDF
format on your computer and search the document by control F.
Then type in the word you are wanting to know more about or the coverage
you want to know about.

Call us at Universal Insurance Agency and let us help with your coverage on Home, Auto and Business.
By Diane Goselin
Mass Licensed Insurance Agent

Whose Stuff Is Covered On My Homeowners Policy
Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2016
  • 2015

View Mobile Version